Contractor

I'm moving house soon due to SERS. Father met a contractor at nearby hawker centre recently. He told father the price will be around $7k for 3R. Father came home and told Mom and keen to hire him due to reasonable price. One morning, when all of us were still sleeping, I heard knocking sound and someone calling father's name. As I slept on upper bunk beside the window, I took a peep outside to see who is that person. I saw 2 uncles. The taller one wore a white top with collar fold up and the other one look like those kopitiam uncle. I woke up Mom and told her about it. She said to ignore them and went back to sleep. In the afternoon, when father was about to go downstair for coffee, he saw that contractor and invited him to discuss. When he came, I immediately recognised him as the tall uncle who came in the morning. He wanted to arrange to go to new house to discuss the renovation details. Mom said maybe some other day. I told mom why not today afternoon since Sis is coming over. She can go with us to take a look. Mom agreed.

We met in the afternoon and discussed. Mom request metal handle outside kitchen cabinet but that contractor said 过时了.. don't do the handle. I want swing door instead of sliding door for bathroom but that contractor said swing door will have high chance to hit the wall and damage the tiles. He recommended one side of the wall of master bedroom to paint other colour but I doesn't want it. He also recommended glass panel on the upper kitchen cabinet when mom didn't request for it too. Mother discovered the keyhole on the main gate was loose and wanted to report to HDB but that contractor said its normal. How can it be normal?? He didn't pay much attention to the defects of the house and he gave me a feeling that he wanted to close the deal fast. From the $7k, he increased to $10k and then to $12k. We didn't want many things. No carpentry, just kitchen, 2 door inside the bathroom and a study table. I don't understand why cost so much? He said to meet again the next day to tell us the quotation and sign the contract. The fee will divide into 3 payment. 50%, 30% and 20%. He don't want cash, just want to bank in to his account. He said that I will know how to do it and I replied, "internet banking right"

After the session, I told Mom I don't like his service and we should consult other companies to compare. Sis also find that it was way too expensive. I asked Mom whether she know if this contractor have licence because I can't find any of his company information on the website. She don't know because there is no license number printed on the name card, unlike other company's name card which indicate HDB and company license number. I searched HDB and BCA website and confirmed that they are registered. I told her to find out more from the contractor and ask for his license number. About the payment, if I do the internet banking, there is no issue of company receipt. It's very dangerous and high chance to con our money. 50% down payment was quite a lot.

Today, Mom met that contractor coincidentally again. She asked him whether he have license and he said how can have no license and will give us next time. Mom also told him that the company on his name card is not register. He explained that is another company under his wife name. If the name card company doesn't exist, why he print on his name card?

His answer doesn't convince me at all. I really hope he is not out to con people's money. If he is, I will report to police.

Comments

Treasure at Tampines said…
Interesting, residents of Treasure at Tampines , just sharing with you guys!

Popular Posts